It’s okay for bearded dragons to eat kohlrabi, but it should be eaten in moderation because of its high water content.
The kohlrabi is rich in Vitamin C and other nutrients, but unfortunately, it’s also high in water, which makes it a bad choice for bearded dragons.
Also, Kohlrabi has a high water content and a mismatch between calcium and phosphorus, so it’s not good for bearded dragon health.
To feed kohlrabi to bearded dragons, remove seeds and skin, and use it in salads, stir-fries, or other dishes. It can also be added as a treat occasionally to their diet.
Nutritional Benefits Of Kohlrabi For Bearded Dragons
Kohlrabi is a vegetable that can be fed to bearded dragons in moderation. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of kohlrabi for bearded dragons:
- Vitamin D: Kohlrabi leaves are high in vitamin D, which is an important nutrient for bearded dragons.
- Fiber: Kohlrabi is high in fiber, which can help with digestion and prevent constipation in bearded dragons.
- Vitamin C: Kohlrabi is a good source of vitamin C, which is important for the immune system and overall health of bearded dragons.
- Protein: Kohlrabi contains protein, which is important for muscle growth and repair in bearded dragons.
- Potassium: Kohlrabi is a good source of potassium, which is important for maintaining healthy muscles and nerves in bearded dragons.
However, it is important to note that kohlrabi is also rich in water, which can make it not so good for bearded dragons if ingested in large amounts.
Additionally, kohlrabi is part of the cabbage family and is goitrogenic, which means it can interfere with the thyroid gland’s ability to produce hormones.
Therefore, it is recommended to feed kohlrabi to bearded dragons in moderation and as part of a varied diet that includes other greens and vegetables.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Feeding Kohlrabi To Bearded Dragons?
Feeding kohlrabi to bearded dragons is generally safe and can provide them with essential vitamins and minerals.
However, it is important to keep in mind that kohlrabi should only be given to bearded dragons in moderation, as it can cause digestive problems if consumed in large quantities.
Additionally, kohlrabi is rich in water, which may not be ideal for bearded dragons.
Therefore, it is recommended to feed kohlrabi to bearded dragons in small amounts and as part of a balanced diet that includes other vegetables and protein sources.
How Often Should Kohlrabi Be Offered To Bearded Dragons?
Kohlrabi should only be offered to bearded dragons once or twice per week as part of a balanced diet. It should never be given as the main staple of their diet.
When offering kohlrabi to bearded dragons, it is important to keep in mind the feeding schedules, portion size, chemical composition, cooking methods, and handling safety.
Kohlrabi is a nutritious vegetable that can be offered as part of their diet but needs to be done carefully.
Kohlrabi’s nutrient composition consists mostly of water, carbohydrates, and dietary fiber.
Its calorie content is low so it should only be offered occasionally as a snack or treat rather than as part of their regular meals.
Be sure to pay close attention when handling kohlrabi for the safety of your pet.
How To Feed Them Kohlrabi?
Kohlrabi is a type of cabbage that is high in Vitamin C, fiber, protein, Vitamins B6 and C, potassium, and folate. While it is not a common food for bearded dragons, it is safe for them to eat in moderation.
If you choose to feed your bearded dragon kohlrabi, make sure to wash it first. Here are some tips for feeding kohlrabi to your bearded dragon:
- Chop or slice it: Make sure to chop or slice the kohlrabi into small pieces that are easy for your bearded dragon to chew.
- Feed it in moderation: While kohlrabi is safe for bearded dragons to eat, it should only be fed in moderation.
- Offer a variety of greens: Kohlrabi should not be the only green in your bearded dragon’s diet. Offer a variety of greens, such as mustard greens and collard greens, to ensure that your bearded dragon is getting a balanced diet.
- Remove stems and massage leaves: For tougher greens like collard greens, it can be helpful to remove the stems and massage the leaves to make them easier for your bearded dragon to eat.
How To Store Kohlrabi Properly For Your Beardie?
To store kohlrabi properly for your bearded dragon, you can follow these steps:
- Wash thoroughly: It is important to wash the kohlrabi thoroughly before feeding it to your bearded dragon. This helps remove any dirt or pesticides that may be present on the vegetable.
- Cut into small pieces: Cut the kohlrabi into small, bite-sized pieces. This makes it easier for your bearded dragon to eat and digest.
- Store in the refrigerator: After washing and cutting the kohlrabi, store it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. You can wrap the kohlrabi in paper towels to help absorb excess moisture and maintain its crispness.
- Use within a week: Kohlrabi can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week. It is important to check for any signs of spoilage, such as mold or a foul odor, before feeding it to your bearded dragon.
Remember to offer kohlrabi to your bearded dragon in moderation, as part of a balanced diet. It is always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian or reptile specialist for specific dietary recommendations for your bearded dragon.